King’s College Hospital NHS Trust
Spine Mini Services and Child Protection Information Provider
Delivering an ITK accredited, Open Source and seamless route to real time ‘Spine’ data, driving quicker patient record information sharing and flagging Child Protection issues for front line services.
King’s College Hospital, a leading NHS Foundation Trust with a world-class reputation for excellence, has been supporting the Open Source movement in the NHS for many years.
Their latest offer back to the NHS is a re-usable solution to address three core principles of the NHS information strategy;
- NHS number compliance,
- Improved patient demographics data quality and
- National Child Protection Information Sharing
- How can we accurately identify new patients in real time, to safely join up the information we might already hold about them across the NHS?
- Finding a needle in a haystack. How can we easily identify vulnerable children, at the point of care?
- Can these problems be solved once, with the solution released back to the NHS for re-use under an open source software license?
Working with experts at Answer Digital, an Open Source Solution has been designed and implemented, passing the rigorous HSCIC assurance process.
The Spine holds information about a patient that can be used to improve services. Spine Mini Services were introduced as a method for almost immediate access to this information, allowing data from the Spine to be traced and integrated into clinical workflows much more rapidly than previously available.
A subset of Spine data is made available, and much of the responsibility for access control is federated to the organisation accessing the Spine. It becomes their responsibility to ensure that appropriate access controls are in place.
“I am really pleased that we may be making a national contribution to the improved care of vulnerable children. What a fabulous outcome it will be if just a few children go on to lead fulfilling lives as a result of this work.” - Jack Barker
For more details visit www.opensmsp.wordpress.com